21" x 16.75"
Retablos, Wood, clay, cloth, paper prints, goldleaf and watercolor Region:
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Titled, signed and dated verso
El Santuario de Chimayo was built in 1816 on the site where a crucifix called "Our Lord of Esquipulas" was discovered by Bernardo Abeyta in 1810. The site is reputed to have curative powers, particularly the dirt found in the tiny "el pocito" room within the church. It has been given the name "Holy Dirt" and visitors are allowed to dig up and take home small quantities of the dirt.
This work is a reproduction of the Altar Screen in El Santuario de Chimayo.