About the Artist
(1890 - 1965)Beulah Stevenson was born in 1895 in Brooklyn Heights, New York, where she lived and worked until her death. She studied at Pratt Institute, the Art Student's League with John Sloan, and in Provincetown with Hans Hoffman.
Stevenson was a printmaker, painter, illustrator, teacher, as well as a curator at the Brooklyn Museum. She maintained active membership in a range of artist's organizations including the New York Society of Woman Artists (president), National Association of Women Artists (board member from 1949), Brooklyn Society of Artists (vice-president), Art Institute of Chicago, International Graphic Society Inc., Philadelphia Print Club, Provincetown Art Association and the Creative Artist's Association. She was a member of the American Artist Congress which endorsed government support of art unions and promoted the social-realist style of American scene painting. When the Congress' affiliation with the Communist Party increased, Stevenson left it to join the Federation of Modern Painters and Sculptors, established to promote avant-garde art.
Among the solo shows of Stevenson's career were exhibitions at the Fifteen Gallery, Morris Gallery, Laurel Gallery and Santa Fe Museum of Art, as well as abroad in Paris and London. She also participated in numerous group shows including the Art Institute of Chicago; Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.; Print Club of Philadelphia; National Arts Club, New York; and in Paris. She was the receipient of many awards for her work, notably from the Society of Women Artists, American Society of Contemporary Woman Artists, National Association of Woman Artists and the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
Her work is included in numerous museum and public collections including the New York Public Library, the Brooklyn Museum and the Library of Congress.
Critics described her as "an experimenter in originality" and a "Happy Modernist."